Technically speaking only a medical treatment has a contraindication. Oxygen training is a form of exercise.
Here are some guidelines for when exercise is contraindicated:
- Avoid any form of exercise which is unsafe for you or which is not recommended by your doctor;
- Individuals with fragile blood cells and various forms of anemia can reduce their oxygen-carrying capacity if exercise is too intense for them;
- severe myocardial diseases such as cardiac insufficiency, severe angina pectoris etc., or in severe hypertonia;
- Severe hypertension;
- To people using sedatives to treat epilepsy because increased detoxification will filter sedatives from the blood to are rapidly eliminated from the system.
Times when Oxygen Multistep Therapy is Contraindicated:
Oxygen Multistep Therapy page 257:
The treatment is contraindicated at times when spastic processes are occurring in the organism:
- e.g . attacks with severely increased blood pressure in hypertensive,
- migraine attacks
- or perhaps even angina pectoris attacks.
- Individual observations suggest that the treatment can cause an intensification of the spasms. The administration of spasmolytics may be considered according to the case.
The treatment of epilepsy using Oxygen Multistep is contraindicated because the effect of sedatives is more or less eliminated.
Oxygen Training removes Drugs from the body
Technical Suggestion: Author’s Note: Medical or professional supervision is advised when individuals with drug-controlled seizure disorders use Oxygen Multistep Therapy or LiveO2. This is necessary because Oxygen Multistep Therapy and LiveO2 rapidly eliminate toxins and drugs from the system.
There are two types of seizures:
- Those caused by oxygen deficiency;
- Those caused by something other than oxygen deficiency.
Type 1: seizures tend to be remediated or resolved by oxygen training. The simultaneous elimination of the cause of the seizure and circulating drugs has no adverse effect and does not increase exercise injury potential.
Type 2: For seizures caused by any reason other than oxygen deficiency, very rapid elimination of drugs from the system occurs may increase the probability or intensity of a seizure during or after training.
Individuals who use drugs to control seizure disorders should only use Oxygen Multistep Therapy, or LiveO2:
- With competent medical supervision to protect the user from injury;
- Prepared for urgent administration of seizure remediation medications;
- And restrict experiments to exercise methods which will not injure the user if a seizure occurs during exercise.
Narrow Spectrum AEDs
- Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, Epitol, Equetro)
- Clobazam (Onfi)
- Diazepam (Valium, Diastat)
- Divalproex (Depakote)
- Eslicarbazepine acetate (Aptiom)
- Ethosuximide (Zarontin)
- Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise)
- Lacosamide (Vimpat)
- Methsuximide (Celontin)
- Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal, Oxtellar XR)
- Perampanel (Fycompa)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek, and others)
- Pregabalin (Lyrica)
- Rufinamide (Banzel)
- Tiagabine hydrochloride (Gabitril)
- Vigabatrin (Sabril)
Broad Spectrum AEDs
- Clonazepam (Klonopin)
- Clorazepate (Tranxene‑T)
- Ezogabine (Potiga)
- Felbamate (Felbatol)
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
- Levetiracetam (Keppra, Spritam)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
- Primidone (Mysoline)
- Topiramate (Topamax, Qudexy XR, Trokendi XR)
- Valproic acid (Depacon, Depakene, Depakote, Stavzor)
- Zonisamide (Zonegran)
Page 282 Oxygen Multistep Therapy: Oxygen Multistep Therapy is contraindicated during migraine attacks. It has been reported to intensify spasms acutely.
Ardenne further documented decreased frequency of migraines when Oxygen Multistep Therapy was when migraines were not active.
If you choose to use LiveO2 during a migraine — titrate oxygen consumption using primarily Low Oxygen, with brief exposure to oxygen, 1 – 4 breaths, and take breaks every 1 – 3 minutes to determine symptom intensity. Stop if symptoms worsen.
Hemochromatosis — Use Suggestion
Hemochromatosis is a genetic condition where the body has excess iron. Iron excess creates vulnerabilty to oxidative stress which may occur when doing activities with high concentrations of oxygen.
LiveO2 uses adaptive contrast which enables users to exercise under low oxygen conditions. This feature enables individuals who may have adverse responses to high oxygen levels to limit exposure of high oxygen to very brief periods of 1 – 5 breaths, and only to consume a small about of oxygen.
This technique potentially avoids adverse effects that may occur if they were to continuously exercise using a high oxygen mixture.
Use of low oxygen with brief periods of oxygen enables users to use a small amount of oxygen for maximum effect.
If you have hemochromatosis titrate workouts starting with low oxygen level dwell and gradually increase dwell time on oxygen. Note any adverse effect and reduce oxygen dwell time within well tolerated limits.
Oxygen Multistep Nonresponders
From Page 55 — Oxygen Multistep Therapy. These factors contribute to non-responders:
- Structural pulmonary diseases with diffusion disorders, namely, in the existence of a generalized respiratory insufficiency. The proportion of such cases in non-selected patients in less than 10%.
- Cerebrovascular decompensated patients lacking compliance due to organocerebral psychosyndrome.
- Patients with a high proportion of shunt volume in the lung.
- Individuals with severe CO poisoning (e.g. chain smokers).
- Cardiopulmonally decompensated patients: a recommendation is a prerequisite here for implementation of the procedure.
- In persons with a high PO2-art over 90 mmHg ~12 kPa, e.g. due to physical stamina training, a higher level cannot be expected to be achieved.
The difference between LiveO2-AC and Oxygen Multistep
Adaptive contrast differs from Oxygen Multistep Therapy because Ardenne exclusively used exertion or strain to modulate blood flow. The oxygen supply varied from 5LPM to 50 LPM.
Exclusive use of high oxygen breathing mixtures limited performance in conditions which would be non-responsive to exclusive use of high oxygen mixtures, and potentially inhibited safety for individuals where exclusive consumption of elevated oxygen mixtures could be problematic.
With LiveO2, switching between variable low-oxygen mixtures, and high oxygen mixtures enables complete variability in the amount of oxygen delivered to the user. This range is variable from about .66 ATM to about 4 ATM during exertion.
The Adaptive Contrast feature enables users who may adversely respond to titrate from a lesser to greater amount of oxygen during training. The ability to consume a single-breath of oxygen and then switch back to normal or hypoxic air, enables precise control of the amount of oxygen delivered, which in turn enables safe titration and progression to higher oxygen levels.